- 5 ounces rice noodles
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 1 pound deli roast beef, cut in 1/2-inch strips
- 1 tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and thinly sliced crosswise
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced (white and light green parts only)
- 2 cups beef broth (or one can)
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves
- lime wedges
- Add the rice noodles to a medium saucepan filled with water and bring to a boil. Cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water and drain again.
- Divide the cooked rice noodles, bean sprouts and roast beef strips among 4 soup bowls.
- Heat the oil in the same pan over medium heat. Add the jalapeño and scallions and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the beef broth and 2 cups water and bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Season the soup with salt and divide among the bowls.
- Garnish with the cilantro leaves and lime wedges.
Notes: Next time, I will use all beef broth (instead of using water for part of it) and leave the seeds in the jalapeño. I might also add garlic, ginger or something else to the broth to make it richer. We also only used half of the beef.
Tim's Rating: 8/10
Liz's Rating: 8/10