Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home
- ½ cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup zucchini, cubed
- 2 cups undrained tomatoes, canned or fresh
- 1 cup vegetable stock (or water)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano (1 teaspoon if dried)
- Pinch of cayenne
- Salt, to taste
- Optional garnishes: sour cream, chopped cilantro, chopped green onions, and/or cheese
1. Rinse the quinoa in a fine sieve.
2. Place in pot with water and cook, covered, on medium low for 15 minutes until soft. Set aside.
3. While the quinoa cooks, sauté the onions and garlic in a deep pot in oil for 5 minutes on medium heat.
4. Add celery and carrots and cooked another 5 minutes, stirring often.
5. Add the bell peppers, zucchini, tomatoes and water or stock.
6. Stir in cumin, chili powder, ground coriander, cayenne and oregano and simmer for 10-15 minutes until vegetables are tender.
7. Stir cooked quinoa into the stew and add salt to taste.
8. Serve topped with your choice of fresh coriander, grated cheddar and sour cream.
Tim's Rating: 9.5/10 ("Would rate it a 10 if it were spicier.")
Liz's Rating: 9/10
Recipe Notes: Serves 4, or makes 7 8-oz servings.
Nutritional Information (per 8-0z serving):
140 calories, 2.8g protein, 4.7g fat, 22.9g carbohydrate, 52mg sodium, 0mg cholesterol.
Notes: This was one of those meals where I felt like I was getting healthier with every bite.