2 pounds of beef shank, purchased as part of a larger order from Batalden Farms
Alex Trejo's recipe found at www.allrecipes.com
- 2 pounds beef shank, including bone
- 2 tomatoes, quartered
- 1 1/2 potatoes, cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 small head cabbage, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 fluid ounces fresh lime juice
- Cut meat into 1-inch chunks. Do not discard bones. In a large pot over low heat combine the beef, bones, tomato, potatoes, onion, carrots, cabbage, garlic, 5 teaspoons cilantro, salt and cumin. Add water to cover and stir well.
- Cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Remove lid, stir, and simmer for another hour with lid off.
- Remove bones.
- Serve hot. Just before eating, squeeze in fresh lime juice to taste and sprinkle with remaining cilantro.
Tim's Rating: 8/10
Liz's Rating: 7/10