Food and Wine
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Butter a standard 12-cup muffin pan. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir in the blueberries. In another medium bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk, oil and lemon zest, then whisk in the lemon juice. Using a rubber spatula, fold the egg mixture into the flour mixture until blended; do not overmix.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups and bake for about 20 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Let the muffins stand in the pan for 5 minutes, then carefully transfer them to a rack to cool slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature.
"Using frozen berries makes the batter incredibly thick and keeps them from sinking to the bottom of the pan. Of course, the muffins are fantastic with fresh blueberries as well.
Once thoroughly cooled, the muffins can be kept overnight in an airtight container."
Next time I will sprinkle a little sugar on top before baking. These are very, very good.
Liz's Rating: 9.5/10