Cabbage from our CSA and the curtido we enjoyed along with pupusas at the local restaurant Mañana. Our restaurant visit was inspired by WeezerMonkey's post on her pupusa outing in LA. Oh, and this recipe!
- 1 medium head of cabbage, chopped
- 2 small carrots, grated
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper or paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- Place the cabbage in boiling water for no more than one minute. Discard the water.
- Put the cabbage in a large bowl and add grated carrots, sliced onion, cayenne, oregano, olive oil, salt, brown sugar, vinegar, and water.
- Let chill in refrigerator at least two hours before serving.
Obviously we left out the carrots and onion. It still tasted great, but would have photographed better if I had included carrot! We served this with Mexican food; it would work well with any sort of Mexican or other Latin food.
Tim's Rating: 9/10
Liz's Rating: 9/10