Beets from our CSA and this Food and Wine recipe.
- 1 medium beet, peeled and quartered
- 2 cups loosely packed beet greens, stems trimmed
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese (2 cups)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, for serving
- Place the beet in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add the beet greens and pulse until finely chopped.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water and vegetable broth to a simmer. Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until softened, 3 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in the beets and beet greens and cook for 1 minute. Add the broth to the large saucepan, 1 cup at a time, and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the liquid is nearly absorbed between additions, 20 minutes. Add the cheddar; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring until the risotto is creamy and thick, 3 minutes longer. Serve in deep bowls, passing the Parmigiano-Reggiano on the side.
Notes: It turned out a little al dente, but I was happy with my first attempt at risotto! I actually thought it tasted better before I added the cheddar, and I am the world's biggest cheese lover. It looked so beautiful! This would be a great side dish for the holidays with its festive appearance.
Tim's Rating: 8/10
Liz's Rating: 8/10