Everyday Food: Great Food Fast (p. 325)
- 1 pound bulk spicy Italian sausage, removed from casings and crumbled
- 2 medium red onions, halved and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 14 ounces chicken broth
- 1 lb rigatoni
- 3 cups fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- coarse salt + fresh ground pepper
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, cook the sausage until browned, breaking apart any large pieces with a wooden spoon, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium. Add the onions; cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are carmelized and the sausage is cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. Add the broth; cook until heated through, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile in large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until al dente according to the package instructions. Drain; return to the pot.
- Add sausage mixture, parsley, and Parmesan to pasta; toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
The parsley from my CSA is just delicious! Try to find good-quality flat-leaf parsley for this recipe. Sometimes it's nice to have a pasta without a tomato or cream sauce. This fits the bill.
Liz's Rating: 9/10
Tim's Rating: 8.5/10