Mary Broeker's recipe in the Saint Paul Farmers' Market Cookbook
as well as a cucumber from our CSA
- 1 large cucumber, peeled and halved lengthwise, seeds removed
(see note below before making this)
- 12 oz. feta cheese, drained if necessary
- 1/2 cup mild onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- mint sprigs for garnish
- Score cucumber with a fork. Sprinkle with salt and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Crush cheese with fingertips or fork and mix thoroughly with onion, lemon juice, and oil. Season with pepper.
- Drain, rinse, and slice cucumber about 1/3-inch thick. Combine with cheese mixture.
- Place in a shallow serving dish and decorate with mint sprigs. Chill about 30 minutes before serving.
I loved all of the flavors in this recipe. Unfortunately, the proportions were WAY off. There was not enough cucumber... there must be a typo in the recipe. I was on recipe auto-pilot and didn't notice the overabundance of cheese mixture until it was too late. I think 4-6 cucumbers would be better. I found this recipe online, which is quite similar. It uses 8 oz. feta to two cucumbers. I will try working with the proportions next time and make this again; it was quite tasty. (Oh and next time I may peel the cucumber as suggested; I missed that part of the recipe the first time around.)
Liz's Rating: 9.5/10 (for potential); 6/10 (actual recipe)