Kohlrabi from our CSA and a modified version of this recipe from the blog Simply Recipes, originally from Russian, German, & Polish Food & Cooking.
- 1.5 Tbsp butter
- 2 kohlrabi, peeled and diced
- 8 ounces thick ham, diced
- 2 Tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- Pinch of mace (can substitute ground nutmeg)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large skillet, melt the butter on medium heat. Add the diced kohlrabi and gently cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Beat the egg yolk, and whisk in the heavy cream, flour, mace, salt and pepper until well combined.
- Place half of the cooked kohlrabi on the bottom of an oven-proof casserole dish. Layer on the diced ham and parsley. Top with the remaining kohlrabi. Pour the sauce ingredients over the kohlrabi and ham.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned on top. Serve immediately.
Yummy. I would make this recipe again if we get more kohlrabi from our CSA. It's pretty rich, so I suggest serving it with a green salad.
Tim's Rating: 9/10
("Tastes like Scalloped Potatoes and Ham to me. I like it.")
Liz's Rating: 9/10