The need for an "official snack" for book club and this recipe from Food and Wine
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon each of baking soda and sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons Spanish green olives, pitted and chopped
- 1 1/4 packed cups farmstead cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Line three 12-cup mini-muffin tins with paper or foil liners. Alternatively, lightly butter and flour the cups, tapping out any excess flour.
- In a small bowl, whisk the buttermilk with the egg. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt. Whisk in the chives and olives and 3/4 cup of the shredded cheddar. Add the buttermilk mixture and the melted butter; stir just until moistened.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared tins and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Bake the muffins for about 16 minutes, or until golden.
- Let cool in the tins for 10 minutes before serving.
Suggested beverage: Juicy, ripe Petite Sirah: 2001 Guenoc North Coast.
(Suggestion made by Food and Wine)
Notes from Food and Wine: "Perfect as a snack with red wine, these supremely cheesy and crusty little muffins have shredded cheddar folded into the rich batter and sprinkled on top. If miniature food is not your thing, you can also use this recipe to make 12 standard-size muffins and bake them for about 20 to 22 minutes."
My Notes: My book club is meeting at a lakeside cabin tonight, and I am so excited! Each member is to bring an "official snack" which is code for something in between a snack and a meal. This is more of a regular snack than an "official snack," but knowing my book club, they'll love them anyway. Especially because they will go well with the red wine we'll be drinking! The olive flavor is not overwhelming-- it's the perfect amount. Don't make them if you don't like cornbread.
Tim's Rating: n/a (Tim neither likes olives nor is in book club!)
Liz's Rating: 8.5/10