Arugula from our CSA, Tim's love for cannellini beans, and this recipe featured on Bridget's blog (originally from Cook's Illustrated).
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ medium red onion, sliced 1/8 inch thick (about 1 cup)
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed of tough ends and cut on diagonal into 1-inch pieces)
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained (about 1½ cups)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, plus 2 teaspoons
- 14 ounces arugula (1 large bunch), washed, dried, and stemmed (about 6 cups lightly packed)
1. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over high heat until beginning to smoke; stir in onion and cook until beginning to brown, about 1 minute. Add asparagus, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper; cook until asparagus is browned and tender-crisp, about 4 minutes, stirring once every minute. Off heat, stir in beans; transfer to large plate and cool 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, whisk remaining 3 tablespoons oil, vinegar, ¼ teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in medium bowl until combined. In large bowl, toss arugula with 2 tablespoons dressing and divide among salad plates. Toss asparagus mixture with remaining dressing, place a portion over arugula, and serve.
Serves 4 to 6 as a first course or 2 to 3 as a main dish
This is a filling, delicious vegetarian meal. We had sliced leftover steak on the side, though, which was really good!
Tim's Rating: 9/10