Tim's request for "peanut butter cookies with the fork marks"
A recipe found in Joy of Cooking, a gift from my friend Jaime
- 2.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1.25 teaspoons baking powder
- .5 teaspoon baking soda
- .25 teaspoon salt
- .25 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1.5 sticks softened butter
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 2.5 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease cookie sheets.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Beat oil, peanut butter, butter, powdered sugar, and brown sugar on medium speed until very fluffy and well blended.
- Add egg, extra yolk, and vanilla, and beat until well combined.
- Stir in flour mixture until well blended and smooth. Let the dough stand for about 5 minutes to firm slightly.
- Pull of pieces of the dough and roll into generous 1-inch balls. Space about 2-inches apart on the sheet. Using the tines of a fork, form a crosshatch pattern and press each ball into a 1.5-inch round.
- Bake, 1-sheet at a time, until the cookies are just tinged with brown at the edges, 9-12 minutes; rotate the sheet halfway through baking for even browning.
- Remove the sheet to a rack and let stand until the cookies firm slightly. Transfer the cookies to racks to cool.
Suggested beverage: cold milk
Tim's Rating: 9/10
Liz's Rating: 9/10