- 3 quarts vegetable or beef broth
- 3/4 cup uncooked barley
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 8 ounces baby Portabella mushrooms
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Pour the broth into a large pot. Add the barley, carrots, celery, tomatoes, garbanzo beans, onion, and bay leaves. Season with garlic powder, sugar, salt, pepper, parsley, curry powder, paprika, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 70 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and simmer 20 additional minutes.
- The soup will be very thick. You may adjust by adding more broth or less barley if desired. Remove bay leaves before serving.
Tim's Rating: 8/10
Liz's Rating: 7/10