- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 2 cloves garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup uncooked medium pearl barley
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef in oil until meat is no longer pink.
- Add the carrots, onion, celery and garlic; cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, stewed tomatoes, water, wine, broth, bay leaves, salt, thyme and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add barley; cover and simmer 45 minutes longer or until barley and meat are tender.
- Combine flour and cold water until smooth. Gradually stir into pan.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat. Discard bay leaves.
- Stir in balsamic vinegar just before serving. Sprinkle each serving with parsley.
Tim's Rating: 7/10
Liz's Rating: 6/10