Mark Bittman's hummus recipe
This taco seasoning recipe
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups drained well-cooked or canned chickpeas, liquid reserved
- 1/4-1/2 cup tahini, optional, with some of its oil
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus oil for drizzling
- Juice of 1 lemon, plus more as needed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Mix together first nine ingredients (through black pepper).
- Put all ingredients in a food processor and begin to process; add the chickpea liquid or water as needed to allow the machine to produce a smooth puree.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning, adding more salt, pepper, and/or lemon juice.
Notes: We like to take hummus and vegetables as part of our work lunches; as Tim likes everything taco-flavored, I thought I'd mix it up a bit. It's tasty.
Tim's Rating: 8.5/10
Liz's Rating: 8.5/10