Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Quick Coconut-Saffron Ice Cream

Inspiration:
My new ice cream attachment for my Kitchenaid Mixer (thanks, Mom!)
and
David Lebovitz, who adapted the recipe from Delicious Days.

I am sure that most people who get an ice cream maker start with something like vanilla or chocolate. However, I have been dreaming of saffron ice cream ever since my colleague and his wife took us to a local Persian restaurant. Our dessert of saffron ice cream was so different, so delicious, and definitely not available in Minnesotan grocery stores. So, I made it myself!


Ingredients:
  • 2/3 cup (160 ml) heavy cream
  • 1 cup (250 ml) coconut milk
  • 2 ounces (60 gr) palm sugar, or 1/4 cup white or unrefined cane sugar
  • scant 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads

Instructions:
  1. In a medium-sized saucepan, bring all the ingredients to a boil.
  2. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for ten minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, and chill the mixture thoroughly.
  3. Once chilled, freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's directions. Once churned, be sure to scrape any saffron threads clinging to the dasher back in to the ice cream.

Notes: This isn't super sweet, but it's super delicious. It would be the perfect end to a Middle-Eastern, Indian or Southeast Asian meal. I can testify it's delicious as a mid-afternoon snack. :)


Liz's Rating: 9.5/10
Tim's Rating: 8.5/10

11 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Definitely DOES look/sound super delicious!! Yum!!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Oooh - I have all the ingredients on hand including the palm sugar! I may have to try this and stash this in the freezer for safe keeping! This looks wonderful and thanks for sharing it!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. Not only do I LOVE coconut but the color of this ice cream is just GORGEOUS!!! It looks so wonderful and smooth!

Erin said...

I just added that restaurant to our list :) The ice cream looks great!

Grace said...

Hmm, now I wish I had an ice cream maker. Just reading the ingredient list sounds appetizing.

weezermonkey said...

Wow! Looks awesome!

Kate said...

Is there a way to make this without an ice-cream maker? Please help!

Liz said...

K-unfortunately I think you need an ice cream maker-- I am in love with mine already!

Kennedy said...

At the college where I used to teach, they had dinners the culinary students cooked as their tests. One had squash soup with saffron ice cream. It was to die for. We have a kitchen aid ice cream maker, so maybe I'll have to try this.

shazzam said...

it's awesome you made ice cream and a persian one! traditionally, it has pistachios and chunks of cream in it, if you're interested in a variation.

i didn't know the caspian had it and will ask for it in the restaurant or store next time.

- a persian :)

shazzam said...

and no coconut! i think the cream might seem like it.

after double checking a couple recipes, they call for cardamom and rose water, too.


though i know it's totally annoying of me to insist you make it the same, those are just some tips to make it taste like what you had. :)