Food & Wine
- 8 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups Italian bread cubes (1 inch)
- 6 ounces Virginia ham, cut into 1/2-inch dice (1 1/2 cups)
- 6 ounces Gouda cheese, cut into 3/4-inch dice (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup julienned sun-dried tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon snipped chives
- 1 cup coarsely grated Cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces)
- Preheat the oven to 450°. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk, salt and pepper. Stir in the bread until evenly moistened, then stir in the ham, Gouda cheese, sun-dried tomatoes and 1/4 cup of the chives.
- Butter a 9-by-12-inch baking dish and pour in the strata mixture. Sprinkle the Cheddar cheese on top. Bake for about 20 minutes, until puffed and golden. Let cool slightly, sprinkle with the remaining chives and serve.
Notes: Easy to make ahead for when you have guests!
Tim's Rating: 8.5/10
Liz's Rating: 9/10