Sunday, February 15, 2009

Rösti

Inspiration:
The Amazing Race 14's first pit stop: Switzerland!

When looking for a Swiss recipe, I considered fondue, Älplermagronen, and Rösti. Since we recently had a fondue party (using this recipe), I decided to skip fondue. When my mother decided to grill steaks for dinner, I decided to go with the Rösti as it would be a good side dish.

My recipe was adapted from one found on The Food Network's website. My friend Lindsay, who lived in Switzerland last summer, told me that my ingredient list seemed authentic.


Ingredients:
  • 6 large baking potatoes
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 3 1/2 ounces smoked bacon, thinly sliced vertically
  • 3 1/2 ounces onion, diced
  • 1 sprig thyme
  • 3 1/2 ounces mushrooms, diced
  • 2 tablespoons oil
  • 2 ounces butter
  • 6 slices Gruyere

Instructions:
  1. Boil the potatoes in their skins for 20 minutes, drain and leave to cool. Peel them. Using a cheese grater, grate them into a large mixing bowl and sprinkle with salt.

  2. In a frying pan saute the bacon and onions. Strip the leaves off the sprigs of thyme into the pan. Add mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes until soft. Combine with the potatoes and mix gently, taking care not to mash them too much.

  3. Heat oil in a frying pan and add 3 or 4 spoonfuls of the mixture, See cook's note*. Using a spatula, pat the mixture into a round flat cake. Brown it over a high heat. When the bottom side is cooked flip it over. Repeat with remaining potatoes to make 6 cakes.

  4. Put 1/2 tablespoon of butter and a slice of Gruyere on each cake and melt under a hot grill or broiler. Turn the Rosti onto a plate and serve with a green salad, if desired.


Recipe Note: We find that it's better to cook the Rosti individually. 3 or 4 spoonfuls will serve 1 person.


My Notes: I would first like to note that I am not happy with this photo. However I realize this is a food blog, not a photography blog, and while I would prefer to give you appetizing photos, the point is to share recipes. :)

As I am on vacation visiting family, I didn't want to boil and shred potatoes. I skipped the first step by substituting a package of Simply Potatoes. I purchased sliced smoked Gruyere as that is what was available at the local grocery. I had some problems frying the potatoes as my mother has a flat top stove, and I am used to gas. I think they would have turned out a little better if I prepared them in my own kitchen. However, they were still good. (Of course they were, there is bacon involved!)


Vegetarian Option: These would be almost as tasty without the bacon.


Liz's Rating: 8.5/10
Tim's Rating: 8.5/10


Next week on The Amazing Race: I don't want to spoil the locations for those who would like to be surprised, but if you want to see the season 14 map, click here.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks great!

HaveShoesWillTravel said...

I just looked at the map of where the Amazing Race is headed and was excited to see they'll be hitting up some destinations that I hope to be visiting next year.

weezermonkey said...

I am stuck on an island and still haven't watched!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

I love rosti and made it years ago with my father. Anything with gruyere and bacon is automatically wonderful, but add in potatoes and I'm in heaven!
Nancy

Maria said...

I will have to try the veggie version! Looks great!!

Unknown said...

I blog The Amazing Race - it's my running commentary as I watch it - and a friend shared your link! I love your "foodie" take on TAR. I'll look forward to seeing your recipe every week.

Rachel said...

The melted cheese on top is making my mouth water. It looks so yummy!