Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home Even though I own this cookbook, I didn't notice the recipe until I saw it on Food alla Puttanesca!
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 bunch kale or Swiss chard (4 cups sliced)
- 2 cups undrained canned crushed pineapple (20-ounce can)
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce (we used Sriracha), plus more to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- salt to taste
- crushed skinless peanuts, to garnish
- chopped cilantro, to garnish
- hot brown or white rice, couscous, or quinoa
- In a covered saucepan, sauté the onions and garlic in the oil for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onions are lightly browned. While the onions sauté, wash the kale or Swiss chard. Remove and discard the large stems. Slice the leaves crosswise into 1-inch-thick slices.
- Add the pineapple and its juice to the onions and bring to a simmer. Stir in the kale or chard, cover, and simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring a couple of times, until just tender. Mix in the peanut butter, hot sauce, and cilantro and simmer for 5 minutes. Add salt to taste, and serve over rice, garnishing with peanuts and additional cilantro.
Nutritional Information per 8 ounce serving: 225 calories, 7.4g protein, 12g fat, 25.7g carbohydrate, 169mg sodium, 0mg cholesterol.
My Notes: A great vegan recipe. I loved the contrast of textures with the crunchy peanuts and the stew and rice.
Tim's Rating: 9/10 "Weird but good" (Yes, this is Tim's second "weird" comment in a row.)
Liz's Rating: 9/10