- olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1/4-1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 3 links fully cooked chicken sausage, sliced
- 2T balsamic vinegar, divided
- 14oz can diced tomatoes
- pinch of dried basil
- freshly ground salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup dry lentils
- 3/4 cup water
- 5 oz fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- Heat about 1T olive oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook for about 5-8 minutes, until softened.
- Add 1T balsamic vinegar, garlic, chicken sausage, crushed red pepper, basil, salt and pepper and sauté 1-2 minutes more.
- Add the lentils, canned tomatoes, and water, and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook 10 minutes more, until spinach is wilted and lentils are tender.
- Stir in remaining 1T of balsamic vinegar, and serve.
Notes: Cara recommends Member's Mark Asiago & Spinach Chicken Sausage from Sam's Club; I found local chicken sausage at the co-op that was delicious! Vegetarians could easily substitute veggie sausage.
Tim's Rating: 8.75/10
Liz's Rating: 9.5/10