Monday, March 9, 2009

Lavash

Inspiration:
When I saw these on Lindsay's blog, I knew I had to try them. Then Tim and I went to her home, and he had some. "You made these?" He was shocked and impressed, which made Lindsay and I laugh a little. Lindsay gave him a bag to take home, and he ate all of them by the time we got home. So, I made him some more today.
Recipe adapted from Bread Baker's Apprentice


Ingredients:
  • 1.5 cups bread flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 1/3 to 1/2 cup room temperature water
  • one egg white, lightly beaten with 1t water
  • coarse salt
  • spices (I used dill, cumin, caraway, and rosemary)

Instructions:
  1. Stir the flour, salt yeast, honey and oil together.
  2. While continuing to stir, slowly add the water into the dry ingredients. Stir until the dough gathers into a ball.
  3. Lightly flour the counter top and knead the dough for 10 minutes. You will know the dough is ready when it stretches thin without breaking. (Do the windowpane test.)
  4. Spray a bowl with oil and swirl the dough to coat with oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rise for 90 minutes -- the dough should double in size.
  5. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  6. Lightly oil the counter top. Place dough on the oiled surface and sprinkle with flour. Roll the dough out until its paper thin. It should be at least 12" x 15".
  7. Place dough on a parchment lined baking sheet.
  8. Using a pastry brush, thinly coat the dough with the egg wash. Sprinkle coarse salt and any spices you would like onto the dough.
  9. If you would like pre-cut crackers, use a pizza cutter and cut the desired shapes - the crackers will break even once removed from the oven.
  10. Bake the crackers for 15-20 minutes, when the crackers are evenly browned.
Notes: I didn't roll the dough as thinly as I should have. I still like the result, but Tim prefers Lindsay's crunchy crackers. She used whole wheat flour, which I will try next time. (I am currently out.)

Tim's Rating: 9/10
Liz's Rating: 9/10

9 comments:

Lindsay said...

I am glad he liked them!

Also, I have gotten nearly two cookie sheets full the two times I have made lavash this week. I feel like the recipe's dimensions from the book are a little off.

Lindsay said...

oooh and you used egg wash - did the spices stick on better?

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Delightful!!

Liz said...

Lindsay-- the spices did stick really well. I will definitely use an egg wash from now on!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Looks great and you've inspired me to make some soon!

Maria said...

We've made lavash. SO good! I need to make them again!

Anonymous said...

I've been wanting to make these. They look delicious! Great job.

weezermonkey said...

Mmm!

Erin said...

I made these for daring bakers, and you just reminded me how great they were! I was impressed how easy the recipe was, too. I might just have to make some lavash this weekend!