Sunday, September 7, 2008

Black and White Bean Dip

Inspiration:
Are you ready for some football?!?!? We wanted to have some dip while watching Brett Favre make his regular-season debut with the Jets. Sigh, we miss having you as a Packer, Favre.
I adapted this recipe from Annie's Eats, originally from My Kitchen Café. Check out Annie's blog-- it's one of my favorites.


Ingredients:
  • 1 can black beans

  • 1 can white beans

  • 1 cup frozen corn kernels

  • 7 oz. hot salsa (I recommend Habañero Lime)

  • 2 cups shredded co-jack cheese

  • 1 cup chopped tomatoes

  • garlic salt to taste

  • cilantro to garnish


Instructions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Rinse and drain both cans of beans. Squeeze the liquid out of tomatoes before chopping so the dip doesn’t turn runny. Put all ingredients except cilantro in a bowl and mix together. Grease a shallow baking dish before spooning in the bean mixture. Sprinkle a little cheese on top.
  2. Bake for 20 minutes until the cheese is melted and the dip is heated through. Remove from the oven and top with cilantro.
  3. Serve with tortilla chips.

Notes:
We decided to try this dip and compare it to the bean dip that Tim rated an 11/10. Tim's brother had tried both and said we should give it a shot. My brother-in-law and his girlfriend recommended their additions and substitutions: adding in a can of diced green chilies and substituting pepperjack cheese. I think that would taste delicious! We had co-jack cheese on hand and very spicy salsa, so we tried that instead.

Tim's Rating: 8.5/10 ("I think I prefer hot bean dip to be made with refried beans, but this was still good.")
Liz's Rating: 8.5/10

7 comments:

weezermonkey said...

I agree -- there is something about refried beans in dip. I bet this dip was quite lovely nonetheless. It looks beautiful!

Anonymous said...

This looks great! It'll be perfect to have while watching football games this fall!

Anonymous said...

Yay! I am so glad you enjoyed it. We just had it again this past week and loved it. It's also great served in tortillas for a quick meal. Glad you enjoy my blog as well - the feeling is mutual :)

gaga said...

Perfect football food! I'll have to make this for my hubby and his friends.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE beans and I really love how colorful this dip is!! I'm starring ot make!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Looks wonderful and a great addition to football snacks!

tablet pc tienda said...

The chap is absolutely just, and there is no question.