and CSA tomatoes, onion, and garlic
- 2 medium or 1 large tomato, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 cups shredded sharp white Cheddar (or you may use Gruyere)
- 1-2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- Leaves from 3 small stems fresh basil, torn if large
- 4 eggs
- 1 2/3 cups light cream
- 6 tablespoons aged port or sherry (may be omitted, but reduce baking time by 5 minutes)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 425F. Place tomatoes on a paper towel to absorb excess moisture.
In a small bowl, toss the cheese with the garlic. Sprinkle 1 1/2 cups of the cheese mixture evenly on the bottom of the pie shell. Arrange the onion on top of the cheese. Arrange the tomato in a single layer on top of the onion. Distribute the basil on top of the tomato and in the crevices between the rounds. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese mixture on top.
In a medium bowl, beat the eggs thoroughly. Add the cream, port, and pepper and beat well. Slowly pour the egg mixture into the pie shell.
Bake for 20 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 350F and bake for 35 minutes longer, or until the quiche is lightly browned on top.
Let the quiche cool on a wire rack for a few minutes before serving.
Delicious! I used 1 cup heavy cream and 2/3 cup whole milk.
Liz's Rating: 9/10
Tim's Rating: 9/10