A Cook's Illustrated recipe featured in my CSA newsletter
as well as tomatoes, serrano pepper, onion, garlic, and cilantro from my CSA. (Everything except lime, salt, and ground pepper- I love it when that happens.)
- 1/2 small serano or jalapeño chile or 1/2 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, minced
- 1/4 small red onion , peeled and root end removed
- 1 small clove garlic , minced or pressed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- pinch ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons lime juice from 1 lime
- 2 small tomatoes (about 3/4 pound), ripe, each cored and cut into eighths, or one (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- Pulse all ingredients except tomatoes in food processor until minced, about five 1-second pulses, scraping sides of bowl as necessary. Add tomatoes and pulse until roughly chopped, about two 1-second pulses.
To Make Ahead:
The salsa can be refrigerated, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap, for up to 2 days. Season with additional lime juice and salt before serving.
This took me five minutes, not one minute to make. However, it's worth it because it's SO GOOD. Next time I will add an entire serrano pepper, because we love spicy food.
Liz's Rating: 9/10
Tim's Rating: 9/10