and the most gorgeous heirloom tomato from our CSA
- 1 cup good mayonnaise
- 10 to 15 basil leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon good olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 baguette, sliced horizontally, OR 2 slices country loaf bread
- 1 heirloom or Israeli tomato, sliced
- Whisk together the mayonnaise, basil, salt, pepper, lemon juice, olive oil and garlic.
- Spread the mayonnaise mixture on the top of 2 slices of bread. Place the sliced tomato on top of one bread slice. Place the remaining slice of bread, mayonnaise side down, on top of the tomato. Cut the sandwich in half and serve.
This is so, so good. I can't believe how such a simple recipe can be so tasty. You must use quality ingredients (great bread, fresh summer tomatoes, fresh basil) for this to be amazing. I think that Ina's proportions are a bit off -- 1 cup of mayonnaise for 1 sandwich? I made 1/2 of the mayonnaise mixture and still had a lot leftover.
Liz's Rating: 10/10
Tim didn't get to try it, poor guy.