Tim's favorite Tomato Basil Soup, from D'Amico and Sons
This recipe adapted from allrecipes.com
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 14 ounces chicken or vegetable broth
- 18 fresh basil leaves, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup whole milk, half and half, or whipping cream
- 3 to 8 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper, to taste
- grated or shredded Parmesan, for garnish
- In a large saucepan, bring the tomatoes and broth to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add basil and sugar. Reduce heat to low; stir in cream (or milk) and butter. Cook until butter is melted.
Notes: This is a fast and tasty recipe, perfect for a weeknight. You must use fresh basil. I favor San Marzano canned tomatoes, imported from Italy--I think they are worth the higher price.
It doesn't taste as good as that from D'Amico and Sons, but I was attempting to make it a little healthier, so I used whole milk instead of cream. I think if I used two cups of heavy cream, Tim wouldn't know the difference.
Tim's Rating: 9/10
Liz's Rating: 8.5/10