Everyday Food: Great Food Fast
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 12 ounces fettuccine
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 shallot, finely chopped (1/4 cup)
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 8 slices prosciutto (about 4 ounces total), halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise,
- about 1 cup
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving (optional)
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente, according to package instructions. Reserve 1 cup pasta water; drain pasta and return to pot.Meanwhile, make sauce: In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat; add shallot and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add cream, peas, and prosciutto; bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat. Simmer until peas are heated through, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in lemon zest and juice. Pour sauce over pasta; add Parmesan, and season generously with salt and pepper. Add enough reserved pasta water to thin sauce as desired. Serve immediately; top with additional Parmesan, if desired.
Notes: I thought this was ok. Prosciutto, peas, cream, and pasta used to be my favorite pasta dish. I don't know why, but this wasn't anything too special. I did really enjoy the lemon zest, and the leftovers were surprisingly tasty the next day. It was a nice, quick weeknight meal. Serve with salad.
Liz's Rating: 8/10
Tim's Rating: n/a