me: I think I have a recipe you might want to make for lunch.
Tim: Frozen pizza?
me: No, Sloppy Joes.
Tim: I LOVE SLOPPY JOES.
me: I know. These are a bit different. They are a buffalo chicken Sloppy Joe, from Rachael Ray.
Tim: Sigh. Do I have to listen to her yammering?
me: No, I printed out the recipe. I'll even chop the veggies.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds ground chicken
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped or grated
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup hot sauce (recommended: Frank's Red Hot)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 8 good quality burger rolls, split and toasted
- 1 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 2 large dill pickles, chopped
- Heat a large skillet with extra-virgin olive oil over medium-high heat. Add meat and break it up with wooden spoon, cook 5 to 6 minutes. Add in carrots, celery, onions and garlic, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, cook 7 to 8 minutes more. In a bowl combine the vinegar, sugar, Worcestershire, hot sauce, tomato sauce and stock. Pour into the pan and stir to combine. Simmer a few minutes more. Pile sloppy Buffalo filling onto buns and top with blue cheese and chopped pickles.
Liz's Notes: We made a half recipe.
Tim's Notes: Add some Tabasco if you like spicy food.
Liz's Rating: 8.5/10
Tim's Rating: 9.5/10
And here's Tim's artistic shot: