Friday, January 16, 2009

Tim Cooks: Sloppy Buffalo Joes

Inspiration:
Rachael Ray

me: I think I have a recipe you might want to make for lunch.
Tim: Frozen pizza?
me: No, Sloppy Joes.
Tim: I LOVE SLOPPY JOES.
me: I know. These are a bit different. They are a buffalo chicken Sloppy Joe, from Rachael Ray.
Tim: Sigh. Do I have to listen to her yammering?
me: No, I printed out the recipe. I'll even chop the veggies.
Tim: Good.
me: :)


Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 pounds ground chicken
  • 1 carrot, peeled and chopped or grated
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
  • 2 to 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 to 1/3 cup hot sauce (recommended: Frank's Red Hot)
  • 1 cup tomato sauce
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 8 good quality burger rolls, split and toasted
  • 1 cup blue cheese crumbles
  • 2 large dill pickles, chopped

Instructions:
  1. Heat a large skillet with extra-virgin olive oil over medium-high heat. Add meat and break it up with wooden spoon, cook 5 to 6 minutes. Add in carrots, celery, onions and garlic, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, cook 7 to 8 minutes more. In a bowl combine the vinegar, sugar, Worcestershire, hot sauce, tomato sauce and stock. Pour into the pan and stir to combine. Simmer a few minutes more. Pile sloppy Buffalo filling onto buns and top with blue cheese and chopped pickles.

Liz's Notes: We made a half recipe.
Tim's Notes: Add some Tabasco if you like spicy food.

Liz's Rating: 8.5/10
Tim's Rating: 9.5/10

And here's Tim's artistic shot:

13 comments:

Sarah said...

Holler for Tim!

Erin said...

haha, I love the "artistic shot".

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious and tha tfirst shot is GORGEOUS!

Jaime said...

Jim's "artistic shot" would be with a pint glass stolen from some bar.

What's Cookin Chicago said...

What a great way to combine 2 great dishes!

weezermonkey said...

What a great take on a childhood classic!

Anonymous said...

Mmm, great idea! I have a bottle of that Frank's sauce sitting in the fridge waiting to be used up. I'll have to try this. Thanks for posting!

Maria said...

Tim did a fabulous job!!

Pamela said...

I'm with Tim on RR's "yammering", though she does have some good recipes. That looks like a kick a** sandwich.

Anonymous said...

Love reading through all your recipes but this sloppy joe recipe has really inspired me to start thinking outside the box!

Paulette

ErinsFoodFiles said...

You've managed to make Sloppy Joes look incredibly appetizing! Kudos!

PS. What kind of beer is that? Is it a hefeweizen?

Liz said...

It's a Bells Two-Hearted Ale!

Timisabuttbanger said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.