Saturday, August 2, 2008

Fresh Corn Risotto

Inspiration:
Food and Wine and fresh corn from our CSA

Ingredients:
  • 6 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, very finely chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups arborio rice (12 ounces)
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 1 cup white corn kernels (from 2 ears)
  • 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper

Instructions:
  1. In a medium saucepan, bring the chicken stock to a boil with the bay leaf. Keep the stock warm over very low heat.
  2. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring until opaque, about 3 minutes. Add the white wine and cook, stirring, until completely absorbed, about 1 minute. Add 1 cup of the warm stock and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until nearly absorbed. Continue adding the stock 1 cup at a time and stirring until it is absorbed between additions. After about half of the stock has been added, stir in the corn, then add the remaining stock. The rice is done when it's al dente and creamy, about 25 minutes total. Stir in the cheese and butter; season with salt and pepper. Discard the bay leaf and serve.

My Notes:
This is a delicious recipe! It seems too simple, and obviously isn't very colorful, but it tastes great. I love the combination of the slightly-crunchy sweet corn kernels and the nuttiness of the Parmesan.

Liz's Rating: 9/10
Tim's Rating: 9/10

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks great! I love risotto and the corn in it looks delicious.

What's Cookin Chicago said...

I've never even thought of incorporating corn in risotto! This looks awesome and so comforting :)

Sarah said...

What a yummy summer risotto!

Cate said...

Yum! Corn and risotto are two of my favorite things but I've never had them together. This looks so tasty!

weezermonkey said...

This sounds incredible!

Court Cooks said...

I made this dish tonight. It was wonderful. Thanks!

Grace said...

I made this last night and it was delicious! My picky husband's reaction was, "Mmm, I could eat this every night."

I didn't have enough parmesan cheese, so I added a little pecorino-romano Thanks for sharing the recipe and for making me look good.