Saturday, December 20, 2008

Glühwein

Inspiration:
A trek around Munich and Salzburg in search of the best Glühwein with Tim's brother Mike during the winter holidays of 2007 (we were able to keep the mugs for an extra Euro or so)...
as well as
a recipe and wine from Liberty Vineyards, near my sister Ellen's home in upstate New York.


Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 bottle red table wine
  • 1/2 orange, sliced
  • 2 cinnamon sticks
  • 3 whole cloves
  • dash nutmeg

Instructions:
  1. In medium pot, boil water. Stir in sugar until dissolved. Reduce heat and add remaining ingredients.
  2. Heat mulled wine for about 1/2 hour, making sure it does not boil. Stir occasionally.
  3. Once flavors have combined, strain wine into mugs or wine glasses and enjoy!

Tim's Rating: 10/10
Liz's Rating: 10/10

4 comments:

HaveShoesWillTravel said...

Have you been to the Chriskindl market in Chicago? They have great gluhwein.

weezermonkey said...

I've never heard of this! Isn't it funny that I'm ignorant re so many European things? Looks yummy!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Thanks for sharing this! After my recent day spent at a market where they featured this, it never occurred to me to try and make this. I can't wait to try this!

Insomniac said...

Looks interesting. Very very interesting. I think this will be a nice treat this Christmas.