Sunday, November 30, 2008

Siberian Pelmeni

Inspiration:
The Amazing Race's pit stop in Moscow, Russia
and
Erin's suggestion of Pelmeni, which she had at our local restaurant Moscow on the Hill
The recipe below is very loosely based on this recipe from The Food Network.


Ingredients:
  • 1 pound ground pork
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh dill, divided
  • 2 ounces breadcrumbs
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream or half and half
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • salt and pepper
  • gyoza or potsticker wrappers
  • 8 cups chicken broth, hot
  • very thinly sliced button mushrooms, to garnish (about 1/2-3/4 cup per person)

Instructions:
  1. Soak breadcrumbs in cream.
  2. Combine pork, 1/4 cup dill, egg, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Add breadcrumb mixture and mix.
  3. Let sit up to 2 hours for flavors to combine (in refrigerator).
  4. Place 2 teaspoons of pork mixture in each gyoza wrapper, preparing 4 at a time. Wet the edges and seal in half-moon shapes. Set aside under plastic wrap as you make the other Pelmeni.
  5. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to boil.
  6. Boil Pelmeni for 7-10 minutes.
  7. Place 8-12 Pelmeni in a large soup bowl. Top with a few ladles of broth, chopped dill, sliced fresh mushrooms, and more pepper.

My Notes:
I don't think the original recipe was very authentic, and my alterations make it surely non-authentic, so we'll call these "Lazy Non-Authentic Siberian Pelmeni." We both enjoyed this dish. You must use fresh dill.


Tim's Rating: 9/10
Liz's Rating: 9/10


Next Week on The Amazing Race Season Finale: Oregon, USA.

6 comments:

Erin said...

I'm glad you liked it! It doesn't really look like what I had, but oh well. Your photos are gorgeous!

Did you have straight vodka for your beverage?? :)

Liz said...

I know, it doesn't look much like the version you had. I need to get to Moscow OTH and get me some of that :)

And I am not telling about the vodka! haha

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Mmm... almost like a European wonton soup! Thanks for sharing this as I'm always looking for more recipes to use the fresh dill I'm growing!

weezermonkey said...

I love that almost every culture has some kind of dumplings. These look delish.

Anonymous said...

Oh that look soooooooooo good for a cold night! yum!

gaga said...

I love how you get inspired by amazing race. These look wonderful!