Sunday, November 2, 2008

Basmati-Rice Salad with Cauliflower and Potatoes

Inspiration:
The Amazing Race's stop in New Delhi, India
as well as garlic and potatoes from our CSA
and this recipe from Food & Wine


Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups basmati rice, rinsed
  • 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
  • 3 tablespoons cooking oil
  • 2 onions, sliced thin
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
  • 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 head cauliflower (about 2 pounds), cut into small florets
  • 1 pound baking potatoes (about 2), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
  • 3 tablespoons raisins
  • 3 to 4 tablespoons cider or wine vinegar
  • 3 1/2 cups water
  • 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
  • 4 scallions including green tops, chopped

Recipe Notes: "Garlic, fresh ginger, mustard, and a medley of spices spark the hallowed Indian combination--cauliflower, potatoes, and rice. Serve it at room temperature, either alone or with a simple side of sliced tomatoes."

Food & Wine's suggested beverage: "Basmati's spice and jasmine aromas suggest a floral Vouvray from France's Loire Valley. You'll need a demi-sec to stand up to the spices here."


My Notes: I really enjoy rice salads. This recipe was ok, it kind of grew on me while I was eating it. I loved the fresh ginger but thought the other spices weren't very prominent. Sorry I haven't posted in awhile, but I should be posting more regularly in the future.

Liz's Rating: 8/10
Tim's Rating: TBD

"Next week" on The Amazing Race: Old Delhi

10 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

YUM!!

Erin said...

I'm glad you're back in the blogosphere :)

Also, your blog is lying to me and telling me that you posted this on 11/2.

weezermonkey said...

Ditto Erin!

Anonymous said...

It looks really yummy and all the flavors sound great!

Sarah said...

This looks faaaaabulous!

Liz said...

I back-dated to match the AR episode for this recipe-- Should I change it?

Maria said...

I love the flavor of basmati! Looks good!

Erin said...

the date makes sense now! don't change it.

iGurman said...

Very nice. I have also a site for recipes for cooking, but you have to translate the Google translate. I am from Slovakia.
http://www.irecepty.com

gaga said...

Wow, that rice looks amazing!