- 3/4 cup dry brown lentils
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup minced onion (150gm)
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 8oz mushrooms, minced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans (2oz)
- freshly ground salt & pepper
- 2 tsp minced fresh rosemary or thyme
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- buns or rolls of your choice
- thinly sliced apple
- blue cheese (about 1/2 oz per serving)
- Place lentils and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, partially covered, for about 30 minutes, or until the lentils are soft and the liquid is gone.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a medium-sized skillet. Add onion and saute over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and garlic and saute for about 5-10 minutes more, until the vegetables are soft. Add the rosemary and/or thyme, the pecans, and season with salt & pepper. Set aside to cool while the lentils finish cooking.
- When the lentils are done, place in a bowl and mash with the vinegar. Add the sauteed vegetables and the oats and mix well. Chill for about an hour.
- Preheat broiler. Form the lentil mixture into six equal sized patties and place on a baking sheet. Broil for about 8 minutes on each side. Top the burgers with the sliced apple and blue cheese and broil for one minute more, or until cheese is melted and begins to brown. Serve on toasted buns.
Nutritional Info (per burger, without apples, cheese, or bread)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 9.7 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 2.7 mg
Total Carbs: 20.3 g
Dietary Fiber: 8.0 g
Protein: 8.3 g
These were fabulous! Thanks, Cara!
I had a little issue with binding, but I just kind of kept pushing the burgers together, and they turned out fine. If you really want them perfectly shaped, perhaps add an egg to the mixture?
Liz's Rating: 9.5/10
Tim's Rating: 9/10