as well as acorn squash from our CSA
- 1 acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Optional: sliced fresh mushrooms or chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place squash cut side down in a glass dish. Cook in microwave for 20 minutes on HIGH, until almost tender.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and add celery and onion; saute until transparent.
- Stir in mushrooms; cook 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and parsley.
- Divide mixture in half, spoon into the squash and cover.
- Cook 15 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Uncover, sprinkle with cheese and put back in the oven until the cheese bubbles.
Notes: It would be easy to prepare this ahead of time. Microwave the squash and then refrigerate. Chop the celery and onions, and then refrigerate. From there, it will take just a few minutes to throw this together. I suggest serving it with rice pilaf.
Tim's Rating: 8/10
Liz's Rating: 8.5/10