The Amazing Race's visit to Boliviathis recipe
and potatoes, garlic, and onion from our CSA
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed
- a 15 ounce can of whole-kernel corn, drained
- a 15 ounce can of cream-style corn
- 2-1/2 cups vegetable stock
- a 4 ounce can of diced green chilis
- 1 chipotle pepper (in adobo sauce), minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup half and half or whole milk
- 2 limes
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened (about 5 minutes). Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds longer. Add the potatoes, whole-kernel corn, cream-style corn, and stock. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Add the diced green chilis, chipotle pepper, oregano, and cumin. Continue cooking for 10 minutes longer.
- Shortly before serving, add the half and half or milk and heat through, without allowing the soup to come to a boil. Cut the limes in half. Squeeze 3 of the lime halves into the soup. Season the soup with salt as necessary and ladle the soup into serving bowls. Cut the remaining lime half into thin slices. Float one or two of the lime slices in each bowl as an attractive garnish.
I substituted 32 ounces frozen corn for the canned corn. Don't omit the limes or chipotle-- they make this recipe!
Liz's Rating: 8.5/10
Tim's Rating: 8/10
Next week on The Amazing Race: