- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound kielbasa sausage, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 6-ounce packages sliced crimini (baby bella) mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 pound dried brown lentils, rinsed
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups (or more) low-salt chicken or vegetable broth
- 10 oz fresh baby spinach leaves
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add sausage and sauté until browned, about 5 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer to plate.
- Add onion and mushrooms to pot; sprinkle with salt and sauté until mushrooms are soft, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes. Add garlic and thyme; stir 1 minute. Add lentils and bay leaves; stir to coat. Add 6 cups broth; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover with lid slightly ajar, and simmer until lentils are tender, stirring occasionally, about 18 minutes. Return sausage to pot. Add spinach in 2 batches, stirring until wilted. Season with salt and pepper.
Recipe Notes: A complete, one-pot meal. Total time: 50 minutes
Nutritional Information--One serving (1/8th of the recipe) contains the following:
Calories (kcal) 466.8
%Calories from Fat 42.0
Fat (g) 21.8
Saturated Fat (g) 6.4
Cholesterol (mg) 41.2
Carbohydrates (g) 43.0
Dietary Fiber (g) 15.2
Total Sugars (g) 6.1
Net Carbs (g) 27.8
Protein (g) 26.9
- Local Twin Citians must try the Hardwood Smoked Country-Style Sausage from Prairie Pride Farm (available at the Saint Paul Farmers Market). I am obsessed with it and look for any excuse to use it! I don't see it for sale on their website, but they always have it at the market.
- Vegetarians/Vegans can try to substitute veggie sausage.
- Chicken sausage could be substituted for those who do not eat pork. Trader Joe's makes a great smoked chicken apple sausage that would be delicious in this.
Tim's Rating: 8.5/10
Liz's Rating: 8/10 (9/10 with bites that included sausage!)