Martha Stewart Living
- 4 cod fillets (6 ounces each), skinned
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 T extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small onions, chopped (2 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 small zucchini, thinly sliced
- 4 medium-ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 t fresh thyme, plus 3 sprigs
- Preheat oven to 400F. Place cod filets in a nonreactive dish, and squeeze lemon on top. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt, and season with pepper.
- Heat 1 T oil in a medium Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions; cook until golden brown, about 12 minutes. Add garlic; cook for 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Top with half the zucchini, tomatoes, and thyme. Drizzle with 1.5 t oil, sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt, and season with pepper. Add cod and remaining zucchini, tomatoes, thyme, oil, and salt. Season with pepper.
- Bake, covered, for 10 minutes. Baste with the juices, and bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes more.
Nutritional Information (per 1/4th recipe):
317 calories, 2g saturated fat, 8g unsaturated fat, 80mg cholesterol, 8g carbohydrate, 465mg sodium, 46g protein, 2g fiber
- Caramelizing the onions properly is very important. You want a deep golden brown, not burned. The delicious flavor is the base of the entire dish.
- I think I will put all of the zucchini under the fish next time I make this. The zucchini cooked in the amazing broth was tastier than the zucchini that cooked on top of the fish.
- I think this will be a recipe in our regular rotation-- fast, healthy, delicious.
- Taking photos when it gets dark so early is difficult-- this tasted better than it looks here!
Tim's Rating: 9.5/10
Liz's Rating: 9.5/10