Thursday, February 25, 2010

Pioneer Woman's Restaurant-Style Salsa

Inspiration:
I love restaurant-style salsa, so when I saw Pioneer Woman's recipe on my friend Sarah's blog, I had to make it immediately!


Ingredients:
  • 1 can (28 Ounce) Whole Tomatoes With Juice
  • 2 cans (10 Ounce) Rotel (diced Tomatoes And Green Chilies)
  • ¼ cups Chopped Onion
  • 1 clove Garlic, Minced
  • 1 whole Jalapeno, Quartered And Sliced Thin
  • ¼ teaspoons Sugar
  • ¼ teaspoons Salt
  • ¼ teaspoons Ground Cumin
  • ½ cups Cilantro (more To Taste!)
  • ½ whole Lime Juice

Instructions:
  1. Combine whole tomatoes, Rotel, onion, jalapeno, garlic, sugar, salt, cumin, lime juice, and cilantro in a blender or food processor. Pulse until you get the salsa to the consistency you’d like—I do about 10 to 15 pulses. Test seasonings with a tortilla chip and adjust as needed.

  2. Refrigerate salsa for at least an hour. Serve with tortilla chips or cheese nachos.


Notes: I used one large jalapeƱo, including the ribs and seeds. I would describe the salsa as medium-hot. Tim loves spicy food, so I'll probably use two next time. This makes a lot, but we ate the entire batch within a week.

I make my own salsa in summer using fresh tomatoes, but I never had made it in winter. This recipe is so good! I think it may be my favorite salsa of all time.


Liz's Rating: 10/10
Tim's Rating: 9.5/10

2 comments:

Jen_from_NJ said...

I also make salsa regularly in the summertime. I love this winter version using canned tomatoes!

Sarah said...

Your pic is so much better than mine! Waaaaahhhh.
Glad you loved it (and that I could share the love of the recipe) - I'm craving some right now.