Tim's newfound love of beets and allrecipes.com
- 1 1/2 pounds beets
- 2 cups shredded beet greens
- 1 large orange
- 2 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored
- and sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon raspberry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted sunflower seeds, toasted
- Wash and dry beet roots and greens. Shred greens to measure 2 cups and set aside.
- Place beets in a sauce pan with enough water to cover. Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and allow to cool.
- Trim and peel off skins; cut into 8 wedges.
- Peel and section orange. In a bowl, combine orange sections, beets and apples.
- Whisk together olive oil, vinegar, sugar, salt and garlic. Pour over beet mixture and toss well.
- Arrange 1/2 cup beet greens on 4 salad plates. Top with beet mixture, sprinkle with sunflower seeds and serve.
Notes: Loved this recipe. It's not for beginners--kind of time consuming--but it's delicious. Next time I'll double the dressing recipe and keep the salad ingredients the same. I may also add in an extra orange.
Tim's Rating: 9/10
Liz's Rating: 9/10