Food & Wine
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 10 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 scant tablespoon chopped rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Two 15-ounce cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the onions, garlic, rosemary and crushed red pepper and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until just softened, about 5 minutes. Uncover and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions are very soft and lightly caramelized, about 15 minutes longer. Stir in the beans, parsley and water and simmer until stewy, about 5 minutes. Stir in the cheese and season with salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe Notes: The cooked white beans can be refrigerated overnight. Serve with crusty bread.
My Notes: This was really easy, and really good. Use good Parmesan! I think it would be a nice side dish for a winter dinner party as you can assemble it beforehand.
Tim's Rating: 9/10
Liz's Rating: 9.5/10